What are veneers?
Veneers are thin pieces of material, usually porcelain, that are made to be cemented to the surface of a person’s tooth. You can think of veneers as a mask; just as a mask covers a person’s face, so does a veneer cover the surface of a person’s tooth. Veneers are meant to cover up imperfections such as: uncorrectable yellowing, cracks, chips, gaps, etc.
The application of veneers to improve aesthetic features is considered a specialization under cosmetic dentistry. High-quality porcelain veneers give your teeth a natural look and feel, thereby giving you the confidence you need.
Common issues that veneers can address include:
- Normal wear on your teeth. As you age, you may begin to notice cracked, worn, and chipped teeth. Veneers, reshape your teeth, making all of these defects imperceptible.
- Natural gaps and imperfections may be present simply due to your innnate development. Rarely do people have perfect teeth naturally. Braces and aligners can correct this to a degree, and their work is usually complimented by veneers to create a perfect smile.
- Dulled enamel - teeth may become dull or discolored over time. The problem can be caused by what you drink, smoke, or even take as medication.
What are the most common types of veneers?
Two types of dental veneers are most commonly used: porcelain and composite. Dr. Eshagian will explain which type of veneer is best for you. There are pros and cons to using either
Perks of porcelain veneers:
Perks of Composite Veneers:
- Stronger and more durable than composite veneers, porcelain veneers can last 10-15 years depending on the proper oral hygiene of the wearer.
- During application of any veneers, the dentist must remove part of the patient’s tooth structure. Patients who receive porcelain veneers have less tooth structure removed than other veneer patients.
- Porcelain is resistant to staining from: wine, coffee, smoke, etc.
- Porcelain veneers mimic the light reflecting properties of natural enamel. As they rest on the surface of your tooth, they give the appearance of providing depth, which composite does not provide.
Whichever treatment you receive, rest assured that Dr. Eshagian will choose the type that compliments your smile the most. Call today to find out if veneers are right for you!
- Easily Reversible - Can be removed and applied in 1 day.
- Better for more deeply stained teeth
- Can make your teeth seem fuller and more aligned.